A Family Tradition
We’ve been at the heart of taking care of people and their assets in and around Merced for nearly a century.
Our story begins in 1912 with company founder H.S. Shaffer, grandfather to Peter Fluetsch and great-grandfather to Doug Fluetsch and Jeannie Fluetsch Bliss, the current proprietors. Shaffer was a realtor, attorney and insurance agent who went on to become District Attorney and a Superior Court Judge for Merced County. The Shaffer Building still stands on the corner of M and Main Streets as a tribute to H.S. Shaffer’s prominence as a local citizen. In 1934, the Shaffer Insurance Agency was changed to Fluetsch & Shaffer Insurance Agency by son-in-law and second generation business owner John J. Fluetsch. Then, in the 1940s, John changed the name again to Fluetsch Insurance Agency. Ralph Busby came on board in 1949 after graduating from UC Berkeley and marrying Bunny Robinson, who was from an established Merced family. Peter Fluetsch, now the third generation, joined his father’s and grandfather’s business in 1955 after graduating from Menlo College. Eleven years later, after John passed away in 1966, the name was changed to Fluetsch & Busby Insurance Agency, and the office was moved from the Shaffer Building to its current location on 18th Street.
Today, Fluetsch & Busby Insurance Agency is a thriving business led by a fourth generation, Doug Fluetsch and Jeannie Fluetsch Bliss. We are very proud to continue a family legacy of success and caring for our community.